Saturday, April 26, 2008

Soccer in the snow

Ted has been playing soccer this spring for the first time. His game was scheduled at 8:30 am this morning. It started snowing right at 8:30. It wasn't sticking to the ground but with the wind it was really cold. Since it was so early, I went with Ted while Bob stayed home with Harry and Nate. Ted started out wearing a long sleeve shirt and shorts. After the first quarter, I put his sweatshirt on underneath his jersey and game him my stretchy gloves. At half-time, I put his sweatpants on him. The other team asked if we wanted to end the game after the 3rd quarter and we agreed. Our team won 3-1. Ted almost scored a goal today. He was right there but couldn't get the ball in before someone took the ball away. He's still working on trying to get control of the ball and I see him concentrating really hard when he gets the ball. Unfortunately, there isn't much time during the game to think before someone puts pressure on you. Ted and a few of the other boys were trying to catch snowflakes with their tongues during part of the game. He did a good job hustling in the beginning of the game but toward the end he kept falling down. I'm not sure if his legs were tired or what is going on with that. Andy (Ben's dad) was a ref and kept telling Ted to get up. After the game, I told Ted that it probably wasn't safe to fall down all the time like that. He told me that it was fine because the other kids watch out for kids that fall down.

No comments: